Bad Ingredients Found in Skin Care Products
Check Out These Irritating Ingredients That Can Be Found in Skin Care Products
These are pore clogging and often irritating ingredients. Avoid any skin care products that include these ingredients if you are acne prone or have sensitive skin.
* Almond Oil - An oil extracted from the seeds of sweet almonds and used as an emollient.
* Apricot Kernel Oil - Oil expressed from the seeds of apricots.
* Butylene Glycol - A petroleum derived mechanical ingredient.
* Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride - The mixed triester of glycerin and caprylic and capric acids. An emollient ester derived form coconut oil with good lubricating properties.
* Carnauba Wax - Extracted from the leaves of the Brazilianwax palm tree. Emollient and moisturizing and used for its skin protectant properties.
* Castor Oil - Emollient, natural oil. Used in hair dressings, lipsticks, and skin care lotions. Obtained from the castor bean.
* Ceteareth -20 - Derived from cetearyl alcohol through ethoxylation. Used with the parent alcohol or with other fatty alcohols, it functions as a primary emulsifier and thickening agent.
* Cetearyl Alcohol - A waxy, crystalline solid used as an emulsifier. Not to be confused with drying, ethyl alcohols.
* Cetyl Alcohol - A secondary emulsifier that thickens or adds body to lotions. Not to be confused with drying, ethyl alcohols.
* Cocoa Butter - Obtained from cocoa beans, used as an emollient. Used in suntan lotions as well as the manufacture of chocolate.
* Coconut Oil - Natural oil derived from coconuts. Has a defatting effect on skin which is overcome by using coconut oil - deprived esters rather than the oil itself. Surfactants derived from coconut oil have good cleansing properties and are generally known to be mild.
* Corn Oil - Natural golden - colored oil expressed from corn kernels, zea mays. America's premier native emollient oil. Rich in linoleic acid, one of the three essential fatty acids.
* D&C Red #33 - Certified monoazo colorant permitted for use in drugs and cosmetics but not in food.
* Decyl Oleate - The ester of decyl alcohol and oleic acid. An emollient that adds body to lotions.
* Disodium OleamideMEA - Sulfosuccinate - A wax -like solid surfactant used as a solubilizer and wetting agent in bath preparations and lotions.
* Evening Primrose Oil - Helps your body replenish moisture lost to tanning, minimizing flaking and peeling for the appearance of a longer-lasting tan.
* Glyceryl Stearate - A monster of glycerine and steric acid. An emollient and emulsifier.
* Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil - Vegetable oil thickened through hydrogenation.Increases the stability of the oil while retaining the protective emolliency.
* Isopropyl Myristate - The ester of isopropyl alcohol and myristic acid. It spreads very easily and promotes a dry feeling.
* Isopropyl Palmitate - The ester of isopropyl alcohol and palmitic acid. Spreads more readily than isopropyl myristate.
* Kelp Extract - Extracted from a north American species of brown seaweed, Macrocystis pyriferae. High in silicon, which is believed to keep the skin from wrinkling and sagging, kelp is considered an important nutrient source for cells. It has been used to treat anemia and in cases of obesity because of its high iodine content, which has a normalizing effect on the thyroid. Iodine is known to be pore clogging. Avoid any kelp extract if you are acne prone or have sensitive skin.
* Lanolin - A refined derivative of the unctuous fat - like sebaceous secretion of sheep. It consists of a highly complex mixture of esters of high molecular weight aliphatic, steroid or triterpenoid alcohols and fatty acids. Obtained from the wax found on sheep's wool; refined and purified to cosmetic specifications. Excellent emollient, skin lubricant and protectant, capable of absorbing water in an amount equal to 50% of its weight. Rich in cholesterol and other skin - friendly sterols.
* Lanolin Alcohols - Distilled and deodorized solid with excellent emolliency to skin and hair. Contains up to 30% cholesterol and related sterols.
* Laureth -23 - An emulsifier. The polyethylene glycol ether of lauryl alcohol.
* Methylparaben/Propylparaben - Food grade preservatives developed in Europe and used to ensure shelf life, hygienic stability of products. One of the most commonly used preservative in cosmetics today and is non-irritating, non-sensitizing and non-toxic.
* Mink Oil - An oil similar to human sebum; this oil is obtained from the subdermal fatty tissue of minks. It has soothing, amplifying, conditioning, and protective properties, making it an important component of dry skin products. High in unsaturated triglycerides, mink oil has tremendous spreading capabilities.
* Myristyl Myristate - Ester of myristyl alcohol and myristic acid. Esters are light oils used as cosmetic emollients.
* Octyl Palmitate - An emollient amplifying ester commonly used as a mineral oil replacement.
* Olive Oil - Extract of olive. Emollient. Superior penetrating ability. Used in lipsticks, hairdressings, shampoos, soaps and conditioners.
* PEG -100 Stearate - Derived from stearic acid. Emulsifier for creams and lotions.
* PEG -150 Distearate - Form stabilizer; hair and skin conditioner.
* Sea Kelp - Ahnfeltia extract. The calcined ashes of seaweeds, from which iodine is obtained; a large, coarse seaweed or wrack. Skin soother.
* Sesame Oil - A light, emollient oil obtained from sesame seeds.
* Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Suffate - The sodium salt of sulfated ethoxylated lauryl alcohol. A high foaming, viscous surfactant. Cleansing agent for shampoos.
* Sodium laureth - 13 Carboxylate - An anionic surfactant increasing the cleansing power of some shampoos.
* Stearic acid - A common, naturally occurring fatty acid widely used as an inexpensive primary emulsifying agent. When neutralized with triethanolamine, it functions as a tremendous thickening agent. Its soap-like character enables it to penetrate the skin and to have emollient, skin-softening properties.
* Stearyl Alcohol - An emulsion stabilizer; also adds body to a lotion.
More Information and Related Products
- Skin Care Solution Kits
Our skincare treatment kits are custom formulated to zero in on your skincare needs including anti-aging, sun damage, perimenopause, menopause, sun damage and acne issues.